Tuesday, January 15, 2013

30 Day Challenge - Go!

Happy 2013!!! I know it has been a while since my last post and I have along list of prepared excuses that I keep repeating to myself to find some kind of justification,but that fact of the matter is... there is no good excuse.  Sure I can say the holidays got a little crazy, work started to pick up, I took on a part time job, I discovered Dexter (and there are 8 seasons!). And yes these are all valid excuses but really it makes me realize that this blog is yet another unfinished outlet of my life.

All too often I find myself full of wonderful ideas that I put in motion, like the stamping starter kit I bought at Michael's that got one use and went back into the half organized closet - that never got completed.The jewelry tree I am making for my friend that is painted and has a base but has been sitting sadly unconnected on my entry way table (next to a pile of unopened mail) for months now. The 2nd Hunger Games book that I bought immediately after finishing the first one and sits on the shelf never cracked open. And this list can go on and on. I am not sure what is it that stops me from finishing the great feats I set in motion - apprehension? boredom? fear? laziness? life? But there is one area in my life that my follow-through has proved successful and it dawned on me - perhaps I need to pull from whatever it is that drives me in that area into other areas of my life.

So what is it that I have so dutifully followed through with and without fail never falter at - yoga! Yes I am yoga addict - perhaps it is the addiction that drives me but I keep a steady 5-6 day a week yoga practice and I am very diligent (obsessed?). I plan my work meetings around yoga, I plan my social activities around yoga. Pretty much everything else runs secondary to me being able to make it to that daily hot yoga class. So yes my friends think I am a little crazy but this is one area of my life I have managed to keep up with and can't live without. And in fact before I discovered yoga this was a similar case with going to the gym - I always held a pretty steady and stringent workout routine. I always needed this constant in my life and made every effort to keep it going. SO I have started to ask myself why and how I can apply this to other areas of my life.

At the beginning of last year my yoga studio proposed a 30 day challenge. 30 days. 30 yoga class. At this time I was averaging 3-4 classes a week (which was decent) however the switch up to 7 days was scary but I took the challenge! I was even more stringent on making classes than I was before and I was careful to not overdo it in class and I paced myself, looking for that balance that would enable me to complete the challenge. And I did it! One class a day for 30 days! I realized that I could wake up early on a Sunday! (granted Sunday remains my one day off now) but the challenge helped me to see that it was possible. And following the challenge my practice was seemlessly upped to 5-6 days a week which I have held strong (give or take a vacation here and there) now a year later. And I completed the mid year challenge without a problem and I started doubling up on classes like it was no sweat (ha!).

So taking those 30 days and making going to a yoga class a daily priority conditioned me to continue it after the challenge. The premise behind the challenge is that they say it takes 21 days to form a habit (and well 30 was just a more even number!) so if you do something for 30 days you are essentially creating a habit. You condition your body and your mind and you just do it. SOOOO of course my yoga studio is doing this challenge again and it starts today - of course I am doing it again (I have a reputation to uphold) but I am thinking of adding my own challenge in regarding my blog.

30 days, 30 blog posts!! I realize this is rather ambitious and running it simultaneously with the yoga challenge is probably a bit much - but I figured to just go for it! I want to take this blog to the next level and without posting that is never going to happen. So I figure for 30 days I am going to make this a priority. Now you may see some shorter posts, I may stray from my DIY, design mode to maybe recipies? travel? who knows!  I am going to try to mix things up and see what works and what doesn't. I can certianly use some help! So let me know what you would like to see on here and if anyone has a design dilemma - please email me! You can email me at kimberlyvenzke@gmail.com

So what can you commit to for 30 days? These challenges work better with support! =) Ok here I go ... look for another post tomorrow and time to finish up some work so I can make my yoga class...ha!





No comments:

Post a Comment