Friday, January 18, 2013

Product Review: Vacuums

So I thought I would dedicate this post to the review of a product I purchased and have been using for some time now. Vacuum's are a tricky purchase sometimes you can spend a whole lot of money and be stuck with a dud! It's hard to know which one will work best for you. So I am going to share my experiences to help in this daunting purchase process.

I will start off with my first real vacuum purchase about 5 years ago. I bought this Hoover Bagless Upright Vacuum, now the one I had was an older version (different color) and didn't have a retractable cord as this one now appears to have. But other than that it seems to be the same.

I bought this one because I was developing allergies to dust and I was living in an old apartment building at the time and I am pretty sure there was dust infested in the all the walls and floors making my allergies go crazy! SO I was attempting any remedy I could. This vacuum has a Hepa filter that claims to be helpful in controlling dust allergens. I used this vacuum for about 4-5 years and brought it over to my new apartment. It seemed to do the job. Although it often got clogged up and would not pick up dirt. Dust and dirt would get stuck in the inside canister preventing new dirt to come in. So I would have to get my hands in there and rip it out - always a pleasant experience. But I suppose that is bound to happen over time? My reason for finally tossing this monster - is just that! It is a beast of a thing. It is very heavy and large. I am living in a 850 sq. ft apartment, with a LOT of furniture. SO maneuvering around furniture was next to impossible also storing this this thing was a challenge. Closet space is valuable and this one needed it's own closet! SO moral of the story if you live in an apartment with little open living space and limited storage this is not the vacuum to get. Also I would not recommend this if you have two levels - bringing this thing up and down stairs would not be fun.

So when I wised up I started searching for smaller, light weight vacuums that offered greater ease for mobility, that's when I stumbled on the Dirt Devil FeatherLite Cyclonic Canister Vacuum, SD40100

I read the reviews for this item and most of them were favorable and said it had good suction and was light and easy to move around. Also the price was amazing!! SO I went for it. And I have had it for about 6 months now - and I love it! The suction is great and it can get around all my furniture with so much greater ease! Some of the reviews I read touched on the fact that it is low to the ground so you have to kinds hunch over to vacuum and I can see that - but it really isn't that big of a deal, vacuuming is a chore so some work is involved regardless - ha! The other thing the reviews mention was that it is loud. This I didn't really notice - although Jules does run for hills every time the vacuum comes out - but that's not really a good judging factor he does the same thing every time I turn on the hair dryer and he hides under the bed during thunder storms. But I have a little video here you can check it out for yourself.

Also the canister is easily removable and simple to empty.


All in all I think this is a great vacuum - the price is amazing and it is very lightweight and it storage is not a problem at all it tucks away nicely in the closet. So that is my two cents on vacuums! Hope that helps someone.






No comments:

Post a Comment