Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Space Planning - Bedroom



So after much ado and by this I mean moving furniture every couple of months. Some people think constant rearranging of furniture is a sickness. (My boyfriend thinks I am crazy!) But I think it is just the ultimate search for the perfect layout! And perhaps I have finally found it!?

Let me take you through the process -

Layout 1 - When you walk into the bedroom I think the focal point should be the star of the room - the bed! I like it when you can see it as you walk into the space. So challenged as I was with this room, I put the bed facing you when you walk in but off to the side since there was a window breaking up the wall. There was still enough space on each side for a small end table and some walking room (tight..but space). HOWEVER the problem with this layout came in the winter. The heating vent is located right under the the two large windows on the south side. And the heat in this building is abundant! So it would blow into my face as I sleep at night and dry and sweat me out all night long! Not good.

Layout 2 - And so came layout 2. Now this is how the previous owners of my apartment had their bedroom situated and this is how my neighbor downstairs with an identical apartment has hers (and yes I have to admit one of my biggest resistants in this layout was for this reason - I wanted to think I had come up with some other great brand new way to do it!) but because of the above issues in the heat of the winter and countless mornings of dry mouth and skin I broke down and went with this one for a while. But of course soon enough I found fault in it. I missed that wow factor of seeing my bed when I walked in and also it left some space on the other side of the bed, near the windows as just dead space.


FINAL LAYOUT (for now at least). Finally it hit me why not put a bed in front of the window!? Originally I thought no you can't do that - but why not? I will get the best breeze at night, I can still have the light coming in, (plus this is the smaller window) - and when I get an open headboard it will make no different at all! So I went for it and I think it might work. See pictures below as  I test out this layout for the time being with the current furniture.

SO now that the layout is set - the furniture search begins. Stay tuned for this process as I seek out the following:

1- Bed Frame/Headboard/Footboard
2- Night Tables
3- Console table/dresser 
4- Chair
And lighting!!





No comments:

Post a Comment